Monday, January 10, 2011

Class Act

Today was the first day of classes for spring semester. Just about three and a half months until final exams! A new semester is like a fresh start. My roommate overheard two people in the library today and their conversation sounded something like this:


“What are you doing in the library?!?”

“Oh man, I plan on being here a lot this semester.”

“Really?”

“Oh yeah, it’s like I’ve turned over a new leaf!”


I think the thought of a new semester brings about somewhat bipolar thoughts for students. Yes, it is a chance to start with a blank slate in new classes. However, it is also the start of a whole daunting list of assignments, papers, tests, etc. that can leave one’s head spinning.

Maybe the “new leaf” attitude is the best one to have though. Remaining positive is half the battle, right? I prefer to have positive people sitting next to me in class than the people who introduce themselves just by saying “o.m.g.i’m.gonna.like.legit.fail.this.class.like.o.m.g.” With that type of attitude (and excessive use of abbreviations) you might as well just start preparing yourself for that failing grade.

A positive attitude and general common sense of course. I mean, you don’t want to be like the kid my brother knows, who in high school registered for “Guitar Ensemble” because he thought it would be cool to learn how to make a guitar…

No comments:

Post a Comment