Saturday, January 21, 2012

Resolutions: Part Deux

Well I am back to share with you goal number two of three that I have for 2012.  Drum roll please!  Just kidding, it is not that exciting.  Goal 2: Stop buying clothes just because they are a good deal and start buying clothes that I really love and say something about my own personal style.  Sub-goal: start developing my own personal style.

Here's the thing, I have some unofficial rules about clothing: Jackets and coats should cost $30.  Pants should cost $20.  Shirts should cost $10.  Socks should be free.  I will pay more for shoes because blisters are not fun.  Now along with being cheap frugal, I also want to buy clothing that is well-made and won't fall apart after a few trips through the washing machine.  So basically, I want some bang for my buck.

In the past I think I've done a pretty good job of picking out articles of clothing that are well-made and reasonably priced by shopping mostly on sale racks.  It is not often I pay full-price for clothing.  But now that I am getting older and hanging onto clothing for longer periods of time, I want to get out of the habit of buying things just because they are a good deal.  I want to buy clothes I love because then I know that I will wear them and get a lot of use out of them.  And since the real world is coming up quickly, I also figured I should maybe buy some nicer clothing.  Jeans and sweatshirts might not cut it when it comes to job-hunting.

Over winter break I put in some effort and made some headway on my goal.  It was tough, but I shopped those outlets like it was my job!  Pants, tops, sweaters, shoes, a dress - everything on sale but also ngs I love and know that I will wear often.  Now I actually have things to wear to my internship and a reason to use my iron at school.  And actually, all the pants I bought were $20!

This goal is not super hard and more fun than anything else but still, it's a goal.  Maybe I need to reign myself in a little bit though...I don't exactly have a need for the crushed velvet platform heels that I somehow ended up taking home from Marshalls before break ended...but they're so pretty and they were on clearance!

No comments:

Post a Comment